How do we get started?

Most clients schedule a phone consultation to determine if Speech Elevated will be a good match for supporting their child’s needs. When a client is ready to begin services, a formal intake session will be scheduled which will include a parent questionnaire along with other necessary paperwork, diagnostic therapy, and initiation of a treatment plan.

Is an evaluation required to start services?

We welcome the results of any previous evaluation(s) as part of your child’s treatment plan. However, if the assessment is over two years old, or deemed incomplete, it may be recommended that further assessments be conducted to determine your child’s current communication abilities and difficulties. The more comprehensive picture we can obtain of your child as a communicator, the more thorough treatment plan we can provide. Please note, standardized assessments are billed at a different rate than therapy services. Please contact our office if you have further questions or concerns.

What if my child doesn't qualify for speech, language, or other services within the school system?

Unfortunately, it is common for parents and teachers to have concerns regarding a child’s communication skills, yet they do not qualify for services in the school setting. Colorado Public Schools are obligated to follow the Colorado Department of Education guidelines in determining eligibility for speech and language services as it impacts a student’s access to the general education curriculum. Many of our clients fall in the range of needing support and therapy, yet are unable to qualify for those services in the school. Speech Elevated will use any testing that was administered in the schools as part of our intake.

What if my child already receives services through their school?

We serve many children and teens who also receive speech and language services in their school setting. We strive to partner with parents and the school to support a student’s communication needs. Particularly in the summer months, we provide therapy for many students as we continue to work on IEP goals. The more therapy a student receives the better!

How long will my child need speech and language therapy?

It is difficult to determine the exact amount of time an individual will require therapy as there are many factors to consider. However, it is the goal of Speech Elevated to assist individuals to meet their communication goals as quickly as possible. Treatment plan and progress will be evaluated on an ongoing basis.

Where do you provide services?

Sue Berscheid provides therapy services throughout the metropolitan Denver area. Believing that learning is best achieved in a natural environment, therapy services may be conducted in the home, day care, and school settings. No matter the location, a quiet workspace with a table and chairs is necessary. If therapy is provided in the home, an adult must be present in the home at all times.

Do you take insurance?

Speech Elevated is considered an out of network provider.  We do not bill insurance directly and payment is collected at the time of service. We accept cash, checks and credit/debit cards.

Upon request, we will provide an invoice which you can submit to your insurance company for reimbursement.


It's important to check your coverage carefully, so you can be the most informed about your coverage. If you have questions about your coverage, feel free to contact us, and we can provide information to help get you started. We suggest calling your insurer and asking the following questions:

  • Do I have speech/language therapy insurance benefits?

  • What is my deductible and how much of this deductible have I met?

  • What is the out-of-network reimbursement for speech/language therapy?

  • Are there any restrictions?

 If you have questions about my fees or the services I provide, please do not hesitate to contact us